CSA Cooking: Smoked Trout Salad with Basil Oil Vinaigrette [with video]
This recipe is part of the Just Picked series, a partnership between Modern Farmer + Foodterra. Visit our recipe hub for the complete collection, which will be growing throughout the season.
Cool greens, warm smoked trout, rich Marcona almonds, and a bright, herbaceous vinaigrette make for a winning salad. Substitute any smoked fish you choose, from whitefish to salmon.
- ½ fillet smoked trout
- 2 handfuls spring salad mix
- 2 handfuls braising greens of your choice (such as red mustard, baby kale, pea shoots, and tatsoi)
- 15–20 fresh lovage leaves
- Basil Oil Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- ¼ cup crushed Marcona almonds
- 2 radishes, very thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 chive blossom, crumbled into individual petals, for garnish (optional)
Warm up smoked trout fillet in a pan on the stovetop or on a preheated grill.
In a mixing bowl, toss together spring salad mix, braising greens, and lovage.
Make vinaigrette and drizzle it over the salad, taking care not to overdress the leaves. Toss in almonds. Break up warmed trout into small chunks, discarding the skin, and add it to the salad. Toss to combine.
Transfer salad to a serving bowl and scattering radish slices and chive petals (if available) on top.
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Juice of ¼–½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons verjus (we used Minus 8 Maple Brix Verjus)
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Basil Oil
In a bowl, whisk together shallots, lemon juice, verjus, mustard, maple syrup, and salt and pepper to taste. Gradually add basil oil, whisking until emulsified.