Recipe: Eat the Rainbow Salad [with video]
This recipe is part of the Just Picked series, a partnership between Modern Farmer + Foodterra. Visit our recipe hub for the complete collection, which will be growing throughout the season.
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 orange ends trimmed, cut crosswise into slices
- 8-10 small beets peels on, trimmed, leaving ½ inch of stem on each
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25–30 snow peas cut lengthwise into fine matchsticks
- 2–3 radishes thinly sliced
- 7–10 lovage leaves finely chopped
- 5–7 mint leaves finely chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp honey wine vinegar (we use Slide Ridge brand)
- 12 baby carrots peels on, trimmed
- Meyer Lemon and Mint Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- about 2 cups loosely packed, roughly chopped spinach
- mustard flowers, tops of ‘Red Frills’ mustard greens, and Johnny-jump-up flowers for garnish
Preheat a charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Stack 4 squares of aluminum foil and fold up the sides. Drizzle center of foil with oil and fan orange slices on top.
In a medium bowl, toss beets with enough oil to coat them. Season with salt and pepper. Place beets on top of oranges and wrap foil around them, leaving a small vent at top of packet for steam to escape. Place packet directly on hot coals and roast for 15–25 minutes, or until beets are fork-tender. (Be careful when opening foil packets to check for doneness; hot steam will escape.)
While beets cook, in same medium bowl, mix together peas, radishes, lovage, mint, lemon juice, a drizzle of oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside, stirring occasionally to help soften the peas.
Toss carrots with oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2–3 minutes, just until softened. Meanwhile, make Meyer lemon vinaigrette.
When beets are done, wrap them in paper towels and rub with your fingers to remove skins.
Make a bed of spinach on a serving dish and dress it with a little oil, salt, and pepper. Top with radish and snow pea mixture. Arrange beets and carrots on the salad, sliding a few beets underneath the greens. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Garnish with mustard flowers, ‘Red Frills’ tops, and Johnny-jump-ups.
- ½ shallot minced
- 2 lovage stems finely chopped
- 7-10 mint leaves finely chopped
- 3 capfuls honey wine vinegar we use Slide Ridge brand
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Meyer lemon olive oil we used O Olive Oil brand
In a medium bowl, mix together shallots, lovage, mint, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking to incorporate.