So, You Want to Be a Hemp Farmer? - Modern Farmer

So, You Want to Be a Hemp Farmer?

Hemp is often touted as a super-crop with myriad uses. So what does it take to grow it? Here's an overview.

Hemp is now legal to grow in 36 states!
Photography By PRO Stock Professional / shutterstock.com

On a recent road trip through eastern North Carolina, a land of giant soybean fields and industrial hog farms, I passed the time by reading the nearly constant stream of billboards along the highway. “God Bless the Farmer, He Blesses You Three Times a Day,” read one, as I whizzed down I-40 toward Wilmington. “Repent and Believe in Jesus and You Will Be Saved,” encouraged another.

Amid the religious exhortations and pork-themed advertising – one billboard with a giant image of grilled sausages declared pork “The Heart and Soul of Our Communities” – was a marketing message I never expected to see: a giant billboard that said, simply, “Hemp Farmers Wanted.” Driving by at 70 miles-per-hour, I did a quick double take to make sure I’d read that right.

Hemp, which refers to strains of Cannabis that lack enough THC to get you high, but have a long history of use in products ranging from food and cosmetics to textiles and building materials, is one of the oldest cultivated crops on Earth, and featured prominently on colonial era farms in the U.S. But it was effectively banned from commercial cultivation by the federal government in 1957 amid a period of anti-marijuana hysteria.

North Carolina is one of a handful of states where hemp cultivation has recently resumed. There is a steady demand for hemp as a raw material for industrial uses (making things with hemp was never outlawed, but manufacturers have been required to import it from places like Canada and Europe for the last seven decades). As the American hemp industry grows, manufacturers are hoping to get their hemp locally – hence the signs encouraging North Carolina farmers to plant it.

Is It Legal to Grow Hemp?

In the nineties, as the marijuana legalization movement gained traction, a number of states began to introduce legislation to allow hemp cultivation to begin anew, contradicting the federal ban. A variety of legal and practical roadblocks prevented farmers from actually planting hemp on any meaningful scale until recently, however.

Now, 36 states have legalized hemp cultivation to varying degrees (some for research purposes only). The first commercial planting happened in 2013, when Colorado farmer Ryan Loflin harvested a 55-acre crop, the first in the nation since 1957.

The 2014 Farm Bill included a provision that allowed states to initiate research programs on hemp cultivation. Though the federal ban on commercial cultivation remained intact, this the new policy was taken as a sign that federal rules would eventually be loosened further, sparking a new wave of activity at the state level to legalize hemp and promote it as a viable crop. Since then, hemp has been planted in 19 states.

In raw numbers, hemp is still a very minor crop, but it is rapidly expanding: in 2016, less than 10,000 acres were grown nationwide; in 2017, nearly 26,000 acres – more than double the prior year – were produced by about 1,500 farmers.

Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has introduced an amendment to the 2018 Farm Bill that would lift the federal ban on hemp cultivation, which has fairly broad bipartisan support. If it passes, the American hemp industry will likely balloon in short order, creating a massive demand for farmers to plant the crop.

If you’re interested in growing hemp, step one is to make sure it’s legal in your area. The National Conference of State Legislatures maintains a comprehensive, up-to-date list of state-level hemp statutes.

Why Grow Hemp?

Hemp grows more vigorously than corn, but requires less water, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer, earning it a reputation as a sustainable crop. The plant has over 25,000 known uses and is potentially an eco-friendly alternative for other crops commonly produced on an industrial scale.

The voluminous quantities of biomass hemp produces are a potential raw material for livestock feed, biofuel production, paper and textiles. The seeds, and the oil produced from them, have many uses, both culinary and industrial. It’s even possible to make alternative building materials with the stalks, such as hempcrete, which sequesters more carbon from the atmosphere than the carbon emissions required to produce it.

One of the most lucrative industries that hemp farmers are tapping into is the production of CBD oil, a medicinal compound in cannabis plants that contains no THC and is thus legal to consume in all 50 states.

What Are the Ideal Growing Conditions for Hemp?

Hemp is an annual plant that grows well in most parts of the country, other than in extreme desert conditions and high mountain areas.

It thrives in warm weather and grows best in well-drained soils that are high in organic matter. Hemp seeds are generally sown in directly where the plants are to grow, rather than in pots for transplanting. They should be planted after the average date of last frost has passed. Established hemp plants are fairly drought tolerant, but the seedlings require irrigation for the first six weeks whenever the soil is dry.

What Are the Biggest Obstacles When Growing Hemp?

Hemp is often attributed with miraculous potential for sequestering carbon, reducing agricultural pollution, and allowing farmers to make large profits on marginal land. But the reality is not so simple. Here are some things to keep in mind before deciding if hemp is the right crop for you.

You need a lot of land: This is a crop suited for industrial applications, not farmer’s market sales. As with most grains, it’s tough to be profitable growing hemp without planting at least 50 acres or so.

The “red-tape quotient” is high: Because of its legal limbo, hemp growers need special licenses from their state, which means fees and paperwork. Growers may also be subject to a criminal background check. In states where it is legal, farmers must have their hemp plants tested to ensure they are below a certain threshold of THC content. If your plants are found to have too much THC, they may be destroyed.

Suitable seed can be hard to find: Hemp growers are generally required to plant seed that has been certified for low THC content, but the seed industry lags behind the demand and there are potential complications with the feds when shipping cannabis seeds across state lines.

Most commercially available farm equipment will do double duty for hemp cultivation, though custom modifications are often needed to prevent the bush plants from clogging machinery. The special machinery needed to process hemp stalks for fiber is not readily available throughout the U.S., though it is increasingly found in the larger hemp-producing states, like Colorado. To avoid making costly new equipment purchases, growers may be able to contract with companies who accept the raw plant material and do processing at a regional level.

Is Hemp Well-Suited to Organic Cultivation?

Hemp is an ideal plant for organic farmers because it requires minimal inputs, is fairly resistant to pests and diseases, and grow so fast and tall that it outcompetes weeds, minimizing the need for hand cultivation – a major labor cost for most other organic crops.

The USDA does not allow marijuana to be certified organic in the states where it is legally grown, but the agency has made an exemption for hemp. The market for certified organic hemp seeds, a popular health food, is especially strong.

Is It Growing Hemp Profitable?

This remains to be seen, as the hemp market is still in its tenuous early stages. A recent Cornell University analysis found that profits ranged from roughly $130 to $730 per acre – comparable to most grain crops on the lower end and approaching high-value vegetable crops on the upper end.

457 responses to “So, You Want to Be a Hemp Farmer?”

1. Robert Mertz says:

I am interested in obtaining a list of hemp farmers throughout the U.S.

• Linda Niebur says:

We have about 3800 acres irrigated in Colorado. We would be interested in growing/partners.

Please contact us.

• Daniel John says:

Hey Linda, we are a hemp-CBD processing lab.

We are always interested in partnering up.

Our farmers are typically compensated about $3k /acre of industrial hemp.

I’ll leave my email incase your interested.
        [email protected]

• Todd Box says:

About 900 acres here in Texas. Sure like to try another crop

• Scott Nelson says:

I have a 120 tilable partial in SE Michigan.

• Jonathan Leshoure says:

I am also getting things under wraps to begin farming hemp starting out from 5acres to 15-20 acres by the end of next year and steady gaining more yields over more acres year after year and would be needing a partner for selling my hemp harvest

• tom says:

is that 3k /acre after dried

• Thomas Bridges says:

I’ve got 100- 300 acres in central Missouri that I would love to plant in Industrial Hemp.

• Tracy Kitten says:

We have land in Texas about 100 acres and the possibility of gaining additional land. We would love to hear more about starting a profitable partnership. We are serious about getting into this industry.

• Jayson Shoopman says:

Please email me at your nearest convenience. We have a hemp farm and are looking for future extraction companies to process our goods.
          [email protected]

• Honorio Soto Jr says:

I dont own any land, have any equipment, i dont own a cbd processing plant, i dont have a brand, but I desperately want to be in the industry and require a mentor.

• Mark Conard says:

Hello my name is Mark I live in western NC and really interested in the manufacturing of hemp and need to ask questions about the whole process.I don’t wanna leave my phone number so if needed I will by email.THANKS,and looking forward to hearing from you

• Roger Freeman says:

I was wondering where you are located as we are located 40 miles east of Denver and have a irrigated hay farm that we need to start rotating crop out. You can contact me at 3039096563.

• Tom Bronack says:

I represent a land owner in Haiti who has 12,000 acres of land they want to use to cultivate industrial hemp. we are actively seeking investors who would like to benefit from an exclusive on our harvested crop. Contact me if you are interested in discussing.

• Jamie says:

300 acres in central Ohio. Interested in diversifying and trying a new crop.

• Jack Dawson says:

My family owns land that just came out of crp program and we are interested! Our land is in se colorado and we have an irrigation well to support 40 -50 acres if it makes sense. Please respond. Thank You, Jack Dawson

• Natalie Gorman says:

I am looking to invest financially with an experienced farmer.

• sscoots says:

Hi Linda, we are in Colorado and looking for something like this. what is your contact info?

• CARY SCHLOSSER says:

Hello,

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cary

• Nathan says:

Hi Linda!
        I would love to speak with you about growing hemp on your acreage. Feel free to contact me at:
        Satoshi Alexander at Gmail dot com

• Zip Zibton says:

Nathan What do you know about growing hemp? Do you have a website? Where are you located? People you just donot throw the seeds out and harvest. You have to have someone to sell it too. There are junk seeds out there. so you get junk

• Kimberly Condrey says:

I have questions about growing hemp. I have a farm in Virginia and wanted to try a few acres.

• Hi Miss Linda my name is Philip mcclanahan, I work with oak city Hemp a company out of North Carolina, we try to partner with other farms so I was just sending my information over 9198155707 feel free to give me a call anytime thank you.

• Sandra Jordan says:

Hi Phillip. My name is Sandra. I am looking to get into Hemp farming or Hemp processing as a career and am also interested in moving to NC. Wondering if there would be opportunity for me with your company.

• Randall Salzburger says:

I have the resources to invest into the business, a college fraternity brother opened up a business similar to that and made quite a bit of money in it. He used a aquatic system, how would yours be different?

• Nathan says:

Linda, Todd, and Scott, please contact me about planting hemp on your acreage. You can reach me at SatoshiAlexander at Gmail dot com

We can you set up for 2019 growing season!

• Hi Linda! My name is Nicole. I’ve been looking into finding growing partners to help expand my current hemp business. What is your contact information to discuss partnership in further details?

• Josh Jacks says:

I’m interested in learning more about and investing in hemp production.

• Adam Rogers says:

Linda,

I am interested in growing hemp in colorado.

• Ruben Ramirez-Noriega says:

Hey there Linda I would be interested in partnering up with you as well. If you still have any availability please contact me. [email protected]

• Hi Linda,

My name is Bryan, and I’m a Director at SOL Farms. We’re a nationwide non-profit cooperative which has been helping farmers break into SOL (hemp) farming at all touch points from genetics to point-of-sale. Would love to discuss opportunities to work together moving forward. Feel free to reach out, looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
        Bryan Nardone

• Dave says:

Hi Bryan My name is Dave I am interested growing hemp this year and would like to get any info you have on where I can get good genetic seeds. Thanks Dave.

• Monty Dare says:

I am a grower with several thousand acres in western Kansas and would be willing to branch out if it works.

• Nicole M kilgore says:

Hi, I was wondering if I could have your email so that I can send it to a friend who is in the process of getting his license to grow. Thank you

• Steve Thompson says:

Hello Bryan. My name is Steve. I am interested in growing hemp here in Michigan.MDARD is actively working on developing a state industrial hemp plan as required by the new federal law here in Michigan so not sure the 2019 growing season will happen, but that gives me time to get my ducks in a row. I have never been a farmer before. I hope to have 10 to 20 acres to start with the 2020 growing season. Any help getting set up would be GREATLY appreciated.

• My name is Tobias Finley and I live in NE Washington state 100 miles NW of Spokane on the Colville Indian Reservation a few miles from the top of the Columbia River , I am sitting on trust land and Our Tribe was the only one who grew hemp last year . Was wanting to get into hemp and our tribe is ready to submit an App to the USDA to make CBD oil ete . Let me know if you want to talk about partnering up and growing hemp legally this coming year . [email protected] 509-722-3335

• Kimberly Condrey says:

I would love any information you may have on where I can get good seeds. I am in Virginia.

• Frederick Richards says:

Hi Bryan,

My name is Frederick and we have a family farm in Mass and one in NH and would love to learn more about growing hemp. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Marion McWhirter says:

Central Oklahoma hay farmer ready to go to work.

• Tonda says:

Bryan, please contact me. Needing info for 2019 growing season. Thanks. [email protected]

• Cash McBride says:

Hello Bryan. My name is Cash and I live in the Dallas, TX area. I have a 15,000 acre SOD farm in Bonham. I would like to offer a partnersip with someone on my first 5,000 acre harvest in exchange for expertise and guidance. Basically a step by step guide. Lay out exactly what I will need from prep, planting, growing, harvesting and market. Also, I have read several articles that say, with certified organic hemp plants, the gross per acre is between $30k to $60k. What is a real number that I can expect growing the best available product? I appreciate any advice and look forward to discussing the future.

• Chris says:

are you still interested in hemp acres I have dryland, pivot and flood irrigation

• Doreen Morris says:

Hello, My name is Doreen, My husband and I have a Dairy farm in New Hampshire. I would love any information you could give me about getting into this business. Looking to diversify into something profitable. thanks

• Bob Schwind says:

Hi Bryan,
          We are Bob and Doreen Schwind. We only have 35 acres in wisconsin but very excitied to start the process. Do you know where we can good a good quality seed from.

• Dwane says:

Bryan:

My name is Dwane and I have approximately 50 – 100 acres in the Northern Nevada area that I would like to use for Hemp farming. I would like to learn more about your organization and discuss opportunities to work with you.

• Bruce Rogers says:

Would love to talk with you. Have large amount of irrigated farm land in Texas(row crop)

• Tim says:

I am interested in farming hemp but have no experience. I have access to only 100 acres of farmable land just north of Oklahoma City. It is currently being leased by a local farmer but the lease is up this year. It has no building .. just land. Can you direct me to my information on starting a hemp farm from the ground up?

• MARY LEEDS says:

Bryan
          I would like to know more about your programs and possibly work with you. I represent farmers in multiple states and we like to assist non profits with the farmers advocacy programs and community enrichment programs. I work for a large CBD production company as the farmers advocate.
          I am looking forward to learning more about your services.

• Sherri Andrews says:

Hi Bryan. I’m interested in growing hemp in Tennessee. Would appreciate any and all information you can provide. Thank you

• Kirsten Varley says:

Hi Linda,
        Since August 2018 I’ve had a strong desire to join the movement and grow hemp.
        I live in England in London it’s not legal here yet with for a growing capital city I find so backwards.
        The closer city’s are not English speaking and with brexit happening its all unknown territory.
        I’m at the very beginning on my quest to grow hemp but I can offer labour in return for knowledge.
        Do you need extra help on your farm?
        Kind regards,
        Kirsten

• Phillip says:

Hi Linda I am a grow for a farm in Maryland do you have a email

• Miguel says:

Could you contact me please.

• Tasha says:

What is your contact info Linda?

• Sherri Whitlock says:

Hi Linda are you looking for investors? please contact so sub sweetheart at yahoo.com

• Tara says:

Any way we can talk? Have a few questions for starting out in Kansas and your name keeps popping up with whom I talk to

• Eduardo Campos says:

Hello Linda, came across your comment. I am from California where hemp just became legal jan 1 2019. My family has over 40 years of experience in Ag production. We are are interested in cultivating this crop in CA. Would like to know more info about the prtnership.
        Thank you for your time.

• TB says:

Hi Linda Niebur,
        I have partners that grow in Oregon and Nevada. We are apart of a larger CoOp looking we help each other with sourcing seeds, fertilizer, pressing. We have a buyer that buys 50% of our product some of us sell direct. I would be more than happy to discuss numbers with you. Feel free to call me.
        I still have my Florida cell it is 727-270-5248

TB

• zack says:

Hello Linda. I would like to speak with you about your property. Please contact me at your convenience.

• David Stormoen says:

I have 80 acres of certified organic land available in Minnesota

• Rodney Aberle says:

I farm in central il and am interested in learning more. Contact me please at [email protected]

• Linda,
        we are currently under contract to begin extracting in Colorado by March. I would be interested in partnering up to handle your extractions if you have not found. we will be located in Penrose CO, just close by to Pueblo CO, which is one of our farmer partners. We will have the ability to be competitive in pricing as well.

• Nik says:

Hi, if I’m understanding correctly, you’re in the market for a farmer who has experience growing cannabis? I’d love to discuss my qualifications more in depth and maybe we could come to an arrangement of sorts? Thanks.

• Dontrae says:

Hi, Nik
          Me and my buisness partner are looking for some one who has experience in growing Hemp. We have 100 acres in Northeastern Arizona. We are in the process of obtaining a license to grow and would be very interested in your expertise.

• Chane Murzyn says:

I have 18 acres in Colorado and i know how to grow

• Randy and Wanda Berns says:

We live in Mid Illinois and are very interested in becoming a hemp farmer for a rotation crop. Illinois is on the verge of approving hemp production. Would like to be in on the ground floor with this.

• Taylor says:

I am interested in getting into the hemp industry

• Tayla says:

I would be interested in this. Could you send me some more information?

• Tony Velasquez says:

I am in Alaska and looking to relocate. If still need a grower, I’m interested.

• Micah Adam says:

We are currently living in Mississippi, we are planning to venture into the Hemp farming business by the time we get to Colorado ….we will gladly appreciate your suggestions and ideas on how to get license and where to get the right seed for our proposed hemp farm, partners are highly welcome

• Aaron kotewa says:

Am a outdoor hemp grower in Illinois, biomass and flowers. Get ahold of me and we can chat.

• Cliff Pfundstein says:

I am located in illinois and am interested in growing hemp would you have any advice for me?

• Michelle says:

Hi Aaron- My family are farmers in Missouri interested in farming 10 acres or so of Hemp (for CBD oil) this growing season. We are trying to find another farmer who has already been through one season to ask a few questions. Would you be willing to speak with us?

• Scott Krause says:

Aaron, I’m a processor near Madison, Wi. I’d love to talk about how we can serve your farms needs.

Scott f krause (one word) at gmail dot com

• Don Marshall says:

we have 80 acres in central il and would love to see your farm and talk. i would love to grow somethind different. it is premo land would this be proffitable.

• Ryan Vanfleet says:

Was looking into this where do you market your stuff at and how do they take it

• Tim says:

Would love to talk about your experiences with this process. My wife and i are interested in potentially growing hemp as a side buisiness etc. My name is Tim. Thanks for your time.

• Todd Stenger says:

Aaron I also am from Illinos. Knox county. I would greatly appreciate any information you could have for me pertaining to CBD flower farming . I have 188 acres and am applying for license. Anyone please advise. Thank you

• K says:

Hi Robert,

Please shoot me an email at [email protected]

We farm hemp in Oklahoma spring 2019.

K.

• Rodney says:

Anybody in Oklahoma a buyer I’m farming 2000 acres 500 irrigated looking to get away from soybeans to unpredictable?Would start off with 200 to 300 and ramp up from there If it’s profitable. If anyone has info about Oklahoma let me know. I also have a small square ,large square and round balers for fiber and unlimited trucking potential.

• Rick Young says:

Hi Rodney,
        I saw your post on “So you Want to Be a Hemp farmer.” I am a hemp farmer in Colorado and have been raising CBD hemp for the last four years. I have Otto 2 CBD hemp seed for sale if you are interested. Thanks!

Rick

• mike schmidt says:

Rick, I have 50 irrigated acres in Arizona. I am interested in your otto 2 cbd seed as well as reg cbd seed. Thank you. Mike

• Greg Worth says:

Hi
      I have somefarm land in southern Colorado.
      I would like more information on growing hemp for you.
      Greg Worth
      303-918-0335

• Jacob Bullock says:

I have 200 acres of farm ground in central Iowa I plan on planting hemp on this year, looking for buyers or interested parties.

Contact me at [email protected]

• HI,

We are a wholesale nursery grower in Massachusetts looking to transition some of our fields into Hemp, but looking to join a coop or association. We only want to grow at this point.

Thanks!

• Dale Whitson says:

Hi I am looking to plant some hemp this year looking to buy plants and seeds and sell green products

• Eric List says:

This is Eric with the International Hemp Exchange were a licensed and certified national sales partner for HGH Seed Co. We are now accepting orders for the 2019 season. See attached genetics and price sheet. We hold the first Hemp license issued in Colorado back in 2014 and are the proud ORIGINAL breeders of Cherry Wine, Berry Blossom and Trophy Wife. Our seeds consistently achieve 99.9% fem rate and test between 12-20+% CBD. This year we will be releasing “Red Bordeaux” which finishes mid-September Ideal for farmers concerned about early frost. Also new this season is “Auto Pilot” a feminized auto-flower seed with a 75-85 day maturity from date of sewing (contact me for pricing). Additional info available on our website iHEMPx.com & HGHseed.com Contact Eric with any questions. 303-517-3339 [email protected]

• Chris says:

Are you trying to get a list to buy hemp from farmers

• Chris says:

I have 40 acre in asheville north carolina but can’t get my license to grow yet but would still like to produce on my land this year anyone able to help accommodate me in anyway?

• Bud smoterman says:

I manage a farm of around 5000 acres in eastern Kansas. I’m very interested in putting some acres into hemp if I can find a buyer.

• Brian Seider says:

I am in west central Missouri and am interested in growing hemp. Have unlimited amount of acres to grow on.

• John says:

Interested in hemp farming I. Southern Illinois

• Justin Uhart says:

I have 1700 acres in Minden NV.
      First year crop starting with just 2 acres this year
      I need planting and harvesting equipment.

• John R Wallace says:

Robert, I row crop farm in north east Arkansas and am interested in hemp farming.
      John

• David Seay says:

I have an approved application for hemp. I will have to be certified in March of 2019 and would like to grow hemp.

• Shawn says:

I am interested in learning more about about getting into the hemp Industry, my father-in-law and I are very interested, he was a tobacco farmer in Kentucky, and we would love to get more information about getting into the hemp Industry, thanks…

• Robert Liddiard says:

I would love to make a positive impact and farm some hemp! i have 200 acres available

2. Sarkis Baliozian says:

i am interested in receiving modern farming news

3. Luis Vital says:

L would like to plant Hemp in Colombia for export, where I have a fairly good size of land, but I don’t know how to find a buyer in the US,can anyone help? After your publication of this matter about Hemp,several farmers are already investigating with local authorities the legality of the project.
    WELL DONE, once more your publications is projecting great possibilities and opportunities for farmers worldwide,
    Thanks.

4. Bill Kindred says:

Your article did not mention the growing hemp is a labor intensive proposition, with the most frequent activity being weeding the crop. Thanks, Bill KY

• Charles j Whitehill says:

The heavily vegetated characteristic of this hemp plant is such that weeds cannot grow in it so it not only is not encumbered by weeds throughout its growing season but it also after harvest will leave the land virtually weedless

• Dave Dubbs says:

Charles,
        My thirty acres in CA needed extensive weeding even though it was organic certified ground. After 8-10 weeks the plants started to cover the weeds, but up until then it was a drag race for the sun. If you haven’t grown hemp in quantities, make sure you get a mentor that has. I have met many experts in the field that haven’t grown more than 3 acres at a time. Believe me, things change with production.

• Raymond W Mattison says:

Good day,
      I am interested in growing the Hemp on my farm. Do you grow hemp and or have a connection or a forum for me to get started.
      Cowboy

• We sell easy fit coulters that can help with this

5. Matthew Vickery says:

I have a 180 acre cotton farm in Texas. Now that the Farm bill passed, I want to switch over to Hemp. I would like to contact distributors and manufacturers of CBD to go over the many questions I have being that’s the most lucrative market.

• Derek says:

I have a total of 120 acres in the coastal bend of Texas. Funny, I grew up on a farm, but never thought of doing it myself. My sister makes a killing selling CBD oils and other hemp based products. Thinking of growing hemp and supplementing that with market vegetables and micro-greens.

• Nathan says:

Hi Derek!
        I am a hemp broker and consultant here in Texas. Would love to get together to talk about what you need to get started.
        Feel free to contact me at:
        SatoshiAlexander at Gmail dot com

• Derek Cope says:

• donald says:

you can make a million in CBD hemp i hear and only on a few acres so you have it great best of luck to you hope the riches roll in for you and others in the hemp fields

• Nathan Alexander says:

Hi Matthew,
      I am a hemp broker/consultant here in texas. Please contact me so we can talk about what you need to grow hemp.
      You can reach me here:
      SatoshiAlexander at Gmail dot com

• Hi Matt, would love to connect with you. I am a filmmaker making a short documentary on Hemp. I’d like to talk with you about your decision to switch from cotton to hemp. Please email me and we can set up a time to talk.

Thanks,
      Campbell

• Jeff Palumbo says:

Hi Matt. I’m the CTO of GRYN Public traded cannabis company. We are looking for land partners and other industry partners. Feel free to reach out.

• Jared Cook says:

Matthew,

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions. We work with growers and processors.

6. Alexa Salazar says:

I would love to stay up to date with modern farmer!

7. Darryl Lopez says:

Interested in becoming a hemp farmer!

8. Kim Wunder says:

I want to stay up-to-date with all things farming. Thank you for doing what you do.

9. ARTHUR ABRAHAM says:

I own 230 acres and I like to learn more about growing hemp In where to buy seeds in how to learn About the processes

• Hi, there! Make sure to send a story idea to our editor, Amy Rosen, at [email protected]. We love hearing from you!

• Dean says:

We have a a 20 acre nursery with over a dozen huge heated greenhouses used in past for ornamental nursery plant cultivation to wholesale…it is not in use now…so could existing greenhouses be refurbished to grow hemp?

• Tommy SanFilippo says:

For sure. My friend that grows hemp here in Colorado starts all the plants indoors in greenhouses then they are transplanted with a machine similar to the way green chiles are. And as for the weed issue this machine they use lays down a weed barrier along with the drip
        Lines and plants the small plants. It’s a really cool deal.

• Jayson Shoopman says:

What state are you in? I am interested in speaking with you about a micropropagation nursery for hemp. We are considering expanding g our clone and seed business….
        [email protected]

• Karl Hahn says:

Have 20 acres ready to plant with CBD hemp. More acres next year.
          Land never treated with RoundUp or planted with GMO.
          Located in Central Nevada.
          Looking to partner with a raw hemp buyer.

• Erik Rasmussen says:

Absolutely. It would be a perfect transition into one of a few niche’s for hemp production. It’s tough to compete directly with mass acreage production for extraction, but greenhouses can do well if their use is approached correctly. I’ve been running commercial greenhouses for hemp production for the last couple years. We are always looking for more space and to expand our network. We specialize in providing quality genetics for CBD, grain and fiber production. Where are your greenhouses located? Feel free to reach out if you would like to further discuss what opportunities might make some sense with the infrastructure you have. [email protected]

• austin says:

Hello Erik

I am looking to purchase a few greenhouses in NC. They are currently setup with a Hydroponic NFT System. I would love to learn more about growing hemp in general, both indoors and outdoors. I am also looking at several parcels of land in the western NC region. If you have time and wouldn’t mind speaking/emailing with me to explore possibilities I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
          Austin
          828-499-2828
          [email protected]

• Tom says:

You can certainly source a lower height cultivar of high cbd hemp in the GH setup. Most cultivars would thrive well but given the lower space and higher quality of growing conditions you might look at cbd as an option

• Tom says:

Hey there Arthur, you can source quality seed from most milling companies who are up to date with the new bill, in CA and CO you can find seed but I imagine current stock is going to sell fast as of today. The biggest question to ask yourself is what you want to grow towards; CBD, fiber, or grain. If you are looking to make the most from your property it is advisable to find out which of the 3 are best suited to your property

• Eric List says:

10. Matthew Noell says:

Add my name to your list of future hemp farmers in Texas. I have 150 acres North of Dallas in Cotton country. I as well am looking for seed. I would also like to build a processing plant for the oil and flour and fiber.

11. Ken Jones says:

Looking at options on this but don’t know where markets are or any details of how the process works. I have 3,000 acres to work with.

12. Mike says:

We can help at the International Hemp Exchange. Seeds, Biomass, Extracts, CBD etc. Hit me up at [email protected]

13. Steve and Jody Patton says:

I am looking to buy 80 arces of land in Goldendale, was. And I would like to start a Hemp farm up there. Please send me all the info you can . thank you.

14. […] Now it’s up to farmers to meet this growing demand. Since hemp will now be a regular commodity crop, like corn or soybeans, farmers are also able to buy federally subsidized crop insurance and invest in advertising — neither of which they could do before the Farm Bill. Hemp will also be eligible for institutional funds, meaning farmers can grow their farms more quickly and invest in new equipment. Combine these points, and the hemp market is indeed about to experience a boom. […]

15. Virginia B Milligan says:

would like more information on Hemp and growing it

16. David Resler says:

I am looking to find out more about growing hemp in LA.

17. Torben Jensen says:

This was a informative article… I like some more information re : starting w/500 acre and keep adding 1000 acre or more every year up to a total 10,000 acre.
    1:how long is the growing season
    2:how much water is needed per acre.
    3:fertilizer ?
    4:I’m located in a semi tropical location.
    5:how many acres is planted in USA ?
    6:does any one have a cost breakdown per acre ?

18. Doug Davis says:

We are excited to be involved in this new industry, we broker Hay & Hemp in Canada. Let’s talk.

19. greg says:

Love more info on profitability small farm

20. jeff says:

own farmland in the midwestUS looking at adding this crop to areas that do not plant corn.

21. stephen green says:

We have about 125 (mostly pasture)acres that we would to convert to hemp production. Interested in learning more and networking.

22. Stoney says:

I would like more information about how to obtain the seedlings to get started on 500 acres.

23. Harold Clevenger says:

Interested in learning more about modern farming.

24. John Vriese says:

Please send me the email newsletter.

25. Dan and Anne Theisen says:

We have 300 acres. Currently 1/2 in wheat and 1/2 is fallow.

26. ernesto HERNANDEZ HEMKEN says:

gracias su pagina es super interesante, yo estoy trabajando varios campos controlando plaga malesas fertilizacion en bace de aplicaciones quanticas con radionica con buen exito gracias por toda la info que he aprendido en su paguina es exelente

27. Russell B Lester says:

Hello all,
    I own a consulting company in Colorado we have been in the Cannabis industry for 20+ years. We are passionate about what we do! Which is everything cannabis I/hemp. growing/indoors/outdoors/harvesting/processing/extraction and the proper utilization and profitable sales of your crops. We will teach you how to enter and thrive in the industry, and avoid costly mistakes. Please allow me to answer any questions you may have.

28. Brian Crump says:

I would like to know what I need to do to become a hemp farmer. I have 5acres along with some warehouses I would like to turn into an indoor production.

29. Beth Beeson says:

I look forward to learning more about this industry.

30. PETE S BOERST says:

Keep me up to date, thanks

31. Victoria McIntire says:

How many tillable acres would be necessary to grow a profitable certified organic hemp crop?

32. Hilda Reyes says:

I would like to learn more about growing Hemp in New England.

33. MARK ADCOX says:

Interested in becoming hemp grower

34. Stacey says:

Hi I’m in WV and have a small farm and I’m interested in hemp farming for CBD and want to do a high quality crop and do hand crafted. I’m looking for any information I can get.

35. James says:

I’m ready to get started with a little help for modern farmer

36. Jon Simplot says:

want to diversify my farming operation. currently corn and beans. like to try hemp farming in the rotation. We currently have a water hemp problem in Iowa which we cannot control, is this commercial hemp in the same family and will it spread into my other crops and become a weed like multiflora rose?

37. james says:

i need a seed supplier for hemp seed to plant 100 acres-would like an organic seed but open for suggestions
    james
    [email protected]

38. Lacie says:

Im looking to see of there are any existing ORGANIC hemp farms in the United states ?

39. Lynnette says:

Hello,
    I am interested in connecting with raw plant buyers for hemp!

40. Channon says:

Wow, just adding up the acres referenced here that people are interested in switching over to hemp is going to produce some major market imbalances! I may just plant soybeans, since it looks like I may be the only soybean farmer in 2019!

• Steve says:

Precisely! As with any other market, those who got in early will make their fortunes and a few of those who are forward thinking will navigate into a long term sustainable business. Those who follow the herd at this point will lose out to the massive industrial producers who are obviously entering this market quickly with billions of dollars.

41. […] to the Modern Farmer article, “So, You Want to Be a Hemp Farmer?” by Brian Barth, “Hemp grows more vigorously than corn, but requires less water, pesticides, […]

42. Terrence Kirk says:

Potential hemp grower in Oregon

• Peggy Zorich says:

Hi Terrence, finally a person from Ore.! Where are you located? We are in Astoria Ore. We have a cow/calf Angus small scale operation here at 4Z Ranch. Looking to the future, because we are old folks and can’t do this forever, the Hemp might be a crop that would bring $. The question is, will 50ac. be enough? Is our climate right? I’m reaching out to you because you probably know lots more than me & got feedback from your comment. OK Then, Happy New Year. [email protected] 4Z.

43. Sherry says:

I would like to know more about farming hemp, seed suppliers and more.

44. Tina Braithwaite says:

Hi I would like to discuss hemp at your convenience.

45. Stephanie jensen says:

Looking into hemp farming in Wisconsin. Please let me know if anyone has information in buying seed and anyone looking to buy the hemp.
    Email me at [email protected]

Thanks Steph Jensen

46. Randy Grudle says:

Farm in Iowa, looking for an alternative crop, very interested in hemp production

47. John Harwell says:

I am interested in growing hemp in east Texas. We are currently growing coastal bermuda for hay but would be interested in moving over to hemp. How do we get started?

48. KK says:

Large scale farm in Oklahoma looking for buyers for hemp 2019. Please email me [email protected]

49. Karen G. says:

Primarily interested in cultivation of high CBD hemp for medicinal use. Is there a difference in cultivation methods between that and the broad use industrial hemp? Are there any special micronutrients which should be added to the soil to enhance the quality of plants produced? Is it better to start from seeds or seedlings? We have grown soybeans in the fields we would like to convert to hemp. Central MI location. Good clay loam soil. Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Jake says:

I am interested in this as well. It seems like there will be a market for connoisseur grade CBD oil. In the THC market, the highest quality plants are bringing the highest quality oil so wouldn’t it be the same in the hemp market? Google Honeydew farms in Northern California. They are growing on a pretty large scale in fabric pots with selected nutrients and also and greenhouses withlight dep. Let me know your thoughts

50. Jenny says:

We have 500 acres in New England, have wanted to plant Hemp for ages. Interested in buying Seed, contacting Suppliers and Crop Buyers.

Thank you.
    jb.dron at gee mail dot com

51. Kim Belknap says:

I would like to receive updates from modern farmer thank you

52. Henry Ward says:

I’m interested in growing hemp.

53. David watson says:

was interested in talking with Russell b Lester from Colorado does anyone know his phone number

54. Donna Hess says:

We have 100 acres in rural Kansas. Interested in growing Hemp now that it has passed in farm bill.

55. Michael T Dolan says:

i live in NY and hopefully will be growing soon any info will be great TY

56. Tiffani Heryford says:

Interested in a new farming venture. I saw a youtube video of hemp being harvested it looks like a wheat or rice harvester is being used. We already have equipment for both of these crops, is hemp a similar cultivation process? We are in Northern California, are there any commercial processers located here? Would love to get lots more information.

• CARY SCHLOSSER says:

Hello Tiffani, My name is Cary Schlosser, I’m a land broker/farmer in Eastern Colorado, with approximately 3000 acres of irrigated land for sale/rent and I have available potential commercial sites for processing. If you are interested and would like to discuss, feel free to contact me at 719-349-0478.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Cary

57. Brynhildur Sighvatsdóttir says:

Hi, I am from Iceland and would like to get more information about hemp growing and contacts – possible partnership.
    Please feel free to contact me

58. Bradley Henley says:

I would like more information on growing hemp for cbd.
    I have 27 acres is east Texas currently ag timber. This is a clear cut/prep year, could invest in hemp produce.

59. Dale Daugherty says:

I own 162 Acres of grout irrigated in Missouri medical marijuana just became legal here in Missouri I would like to grow hemp

60. Julie Phelps says:

I have 200 acres in SW Virginia. I am ready to start growing industrial hemp. I have equipment and well drained crop land. Please advise!

• Kathleen Lovell says:

Am in Smith Mountain Lake and would very much like to discuss this topic with you.
      Thank you.

• Chad says:

I’m looking for contacts and information concerning growing hemp in our area as well. I have around 50 acres of fields in Floyd county Virginia and will be growing at least one acre of hemp this year but I have no info on how or where to sell it or what return to expect.

• Chad says:

Julie, did you ever get any info? I’m in the same boat.
      Thanks

61. Nathan says:

Hello, I am an industrial hemp broker/consultant, based in Texas, working on a national level. We are looking for farms and farmers interested in a future with this exciting crop.
    Please feel free to contact me at:
    SatoshiAlexander at Gmail dot com

• jerome cotto says:

I’m a entrepreneur looking to gain experience In the field I would love to intern at your company with no pay if need be.. looking forward to getting into contact with you fellow world changers

• Cal stewart says:

Yes my name is cal stewart in Idabel Oklahoma I have river bottom property on red river 580 6126753 or e- mail me with more details

62. Nathan says:

Comments are broken

63. Sandra Lee says:

I am interested in Medicinal Hemp. I just want to grow a small bit in a tubular structure. Is it worth the effort? Who do I contact?

64. Reva McConnell says:

Will Hemp grow at 600ft? What is the length of its growing cycle?

65. Jeremy Fischer says:

Hi, I’m looking into growing 40 acres of hemp in Minnesota for cbd oil. Where do I sell the female buds?

66. Matt says:

Have a small farm in southern Pennsylvania. Interested in where to get seeds to grow hemp for CBD. [email protected] thanks

67. Calvin M says:

Hey,

I have got large amount land available, that I wanted to use for growing HEMP. The land is outside of the US and resides in Southern Africa. I also have very cheap labour available that can work on the HEMP farm.

I am looking to partner up with farmers, to work on the HEMP project in Southern Africa.

In addition, I also want to know if anyone knows any buyers of HEMP produce.

68. Anson says:

Own 191 tiled, terraced, great loam soils in central Missouri. Connected with lots of other farmers in the area. Would love more information for a third crop other than our current corn and soybeans we plant.

69. Kimberly Oleske says:

We are excited to learn all we can about this!! Please keep the information comming!!!

70. Jr Anderson says:

Have couple thousand acres of land in Missoyri now farmed in corn and soybeans. Interested in learning about growing hemp.

71. Lavin sigg says:

Interested in growing this crop also.please contact me with more information on how and what I need to do so thank.

72. Aaron Klander says:

I have 36 acres in tonapah Arizona and am interested in growing hemp.

73. Nefateria Guzman says:

My fiance and I would like to buy land and get a hemp farm going here in southern wisconsin with some help of someone who already has a field or two and knows the business very well. We would like assistance in getting set up so that we may run it here.

74. Amanda says:

I am interested in producing hemp for CBD oil on approximately 30 acres in East Tennessee. I hear we have some of the best soil for this crop! If anyone has any advice or interest, please let me know. ahandy 896 at gmail dot com.

75. Would like to stay up to date for Hemp growers. I am in Missouri and have 140 acres.

I am in the party rental business now, and want to transition to something new.

Oh, and I have a green thumb!

76. Steven Wayne Martin, TTEE says:

Need seeds for 1/2 acre, personal use only, central New Mexico.

77. David A Miller says:

I would like more information on growing industrial hemp in Western Kansas. Where would be a good place to start or who could I contact?

[email protected]

78. Frank deforke says:

Please send me info on growing hemp in Texas legal wise

79. Tony says:

I am interested in classes on growing HEMP in NC. We have approximately 75acres.

80. Maelisa says:

looking for information on growing hemo in nys

81. Joesph says:

I am going to be purchasing property in Southern Oregon to jump on the certified hemp train before the bubble busts. Always open to investors/partners, especially since I am just starting out.

82. Daniel Orsak says:

Only have 30 acres in central Texas. I’ll buy more. 30 years landscaping with a floral liscense.
    Need the right seeds now for cbd oil production. Rush to be the first. Ready this spring.

83. Jerry says:

Interested In hemp farming info’thank guy out jk

84. Luke says:

I have a few acres in Tennessee. Who should I contact to get started.

85. Michelle Jordan says:

My husband and I live in Kentucky and would like to be a Greenhouse growers of Organic Hemp , missed the deadline on obtaining our license. Need some info on the process for the 2020 growing season . We currently have 10 greenhouses on 15 acres and large warehouse We use to be a commercial grower with 38 greenhouses.Thank you for any help and direction , Michelle

86. Rebecca Sazegar says:

Would like to receive your newsletter

87. Frances Fister says:

I am interested in growing some hemp. Any info about purchasing seeds would be helpful

88. Cal stewart says:

My name is cal stewart I am in Oklahoma have land on the red river bottom I would like more information to grow hemp

89. The Hemp plant is one of the better known hyperaccumulating plants in use for phytoremediation of toxins in different areas of the World. Earlier this year CBD and oils from Europe were known to be contaminated by nuclear fallout from the USSR latest blunder and those before it. In the USA when the Cali Emerald Cup Marijuana winners products were tested all but 1 were full of toxins from chemicals. When CBD is produced it is concentrated from the buds of the plant. This is the main area the hemp plant stores the toxins before it sets seeds. I just want everyone to be aware of the phytoremediation abilities and what could be a future liability for the Farmers getting in the biz and growing Hemp on previously conventionally farmed fields and chemicals that are present.

• Wesley Benjamin says:

That is something that I would bet most people haven’t thought about.

• Kathy goodrum says:

I have land in Kentucky just out of the crop program hasn’t had in chemicals in over ten years on it. If I crop it with soybeans or corn this year the spray and chemicals will have to go on it. I am serious about growing hemp. There are still A lot of unanwered questions. I got a copy of the application for 2019 but it’s a lot more to the application than just saying I want to do it. A processing plant has been approved to be built here but it’s not built as of yet. The equipment we have a tractor but rest would have to be converted. I have at 100 acres and could have more but the 100 has had no chemicals the rest has been in beans and corn. Would like to network and have someone that is honest and responsible to work with that has the experience and knowledge to make this happen. My email is [email protected]

90. KEVIN says:

I HAVE 80 ACRES IN DELTA UTAH AND AM INTERESTED IN EVERTHING INVOLVED WITH GROWING HEMP, AT LEAST IF THIS STATE ALLOWS MW TO DO IT…LOL

91. Jason says:

I have 70 tillable acres on southern maryland and am extremely interested in hemp

92. Cesar says:

I am planning on planting some Hemp inCalifornia
    I have 45 acres. Need some advice and any other help on growing, investors and Distrubution info would be helpful. Feel free to email me
    [email protected]

93. Sam says:

Hi. I have some property in CO and am interested in growing for hemp crete. Any information would be great.

94. Bill Boykin says:

I want more info on growing hemp.

95. Cate says:

Wow! What a wonderful site. I love your writing style; I’m edified and engaged, and I’m not a farmer — yet. I live in an Ag community, come from farm folks, and you make it easy for me to understand what people are doing today.
    I came here for the biosolids article (I live in a bus on 46 acres). It is great. Thank you!!

96. Tara says:

Have a 600 acre farm in Southern US. Interested in growing.

97. Cory Roberts says:

Interested in growing in pa , got 7 acres in claysville pa .please contact me show ins & outs

98. YUSUF YAHAYA says:

What is the potential of farming hemp in WestAfrica, Nigeria. And what is the legal statutes, because we have the lands in farming industrial hemp with over 20 economic benefits.

99. Danny says:

I represent an organic farmer in Colorado. We have 59K pounds of hemp to sell for processing. I can be reached at [email protected]

100. Robert says:

I’ve got 70+ acres of land in Oklahoma looking for a partner to grow hemp

101. william kleinsasser says:

hi i;m lookint to grow hemp industrial have dry as irr acers in montana

102. Terri Spencer says:

Please send regular farming news. See below.

103. Paula SImmons says:

I have 60 acres in TN and am getting my paperwork to submit to the state. Which type is grown predominantly in TN?

104. Martin D Gross says:

Please add address for updates.

105. Keith Luker says:

Would like to know more about growing hemp and who to contact sell and buy seeds. I have about 70 acres to plant.

• Robert Hamilton says:

Hi Keith
      Where are you located?
      Have you had any luck with finding seed? I can help with the seed equipment nutrients and equipment needed to grow hemp.

106. MR. MARQUEZ says:

I am considering growing hemp on both properties in Colorado. I only have 120 acres. Would it be worth it for smaller acreage?

107. Dazey says:

My partner & I have about 100 acres in Oklahoma to start a hemp farm. Our operation will grow once we sell a few harvests.
    We welcome any guidance & seek to make connections in the industry. We are also seeking partners for the end result, as a crop is useless without clients 😉
    Thank you in advance!

108. Brian says:

Please add me to your email list. I would like to get your newsletters. I have 30 acres and looking for more info on hemp.

• Hi, Brian! If you head over to the homepage of Modern Farmer and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you’ll be able to input your email address & sign up for our newsletter. You will then receive our weekly newsletters through that email address.

109. Geraldine Clinton says:

I have approximately 47 contiguous acres in Oak Hill, Fl tha are under agricultural use for cattle. I would like to convert it into growing hemp. Is there help available to do this here?

110. Rachel says:

Please add me to your newsletter Distro.

Thank you!

111. Becca Lyons says:

We are growing in Oregon and looking for hemp buyers. Please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks!

112. James mullins says:

I would love to grow it on a smaller scale I would be a small farmer is there a place for the small growers

• Jake says:

I am also curious about this. I’m not sure why no one is talking about small scale high-quality plants like they are growing above ground and indoor out west for recreational cannabis. It seems like there will be a market for connoisseur grade high-quality full spectrum CBD oil.

• brian florczyk says:

The reason is that the hemp cbd market and craft cannabis market are not the same.. with the hemp there isnt much of a market for smokeable cbd only flowers…they are predominately extracted for oils and isolates..once you have quality genetics with the highest cbd % possible, its all pretty much the same…for now…in the smokeable flower market for cannabis, there is a high demand for small batch, craft flowers due to the infinite number of of terpene and cannabinoid combinations and ratios that make each high unique

• George says:

brian do you have more info on the smokeable cbd market.. thinking about getting into it need more training

113. William says:

Interested in entering the Hemp industry. Seeking guidance on education/production/processing/etc.

200+ acres in New Jersey + access to land and capital for potential processing facility in western colorado

please reach out if you’re able to provide guidance

114. Paula Freeman says:

Im in texas, been raising cows for years. I’m starving. Want to support myself and keep away from any form of welfare. Any help appreciated. I’m ready now

115. Drew says:

I have 20 acres in middle Tn interested in possibly partnering in the hemp industry

116. Dave says:

117. Cyril Griffin says:

Interested in inventing/building equipment for hemp processing, construction materials such as plywood and stick lumber

118. Marsha Hughes says:

Is there a need for land in the rural areas south of Augusta, GA?

119. Todd Lyfoung says:

I’m interested about growing industrial hemp in Central Valley, CA. I need info from ground zero up. Thank you.

120. Bryan says:

We own 20 acres, scalable to 100 acres in eastern VA and are looking into the prospect of growing hemp. I don’t have any equipment, or own processing; but, I am extremely to be in the hemp production business.

121. James says:

I am also interested in growing hemp in Northwest Texas, We have land that is certified organic. Would be interested in growing for seed, oil, and Fiber. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

122. Jan Southam says:

Interested in all aspects of hemp farming. Have 150 acres in Nevada. Thanks you!

123. Kelly Westfall says:

Interested in growing hemp in Missouri.

124. Jean says:

Live in minnesota

125. Joe Mathern says:

Live in north dakota,sure would like to reduce my corn and soybean acres,sold my cows couple weeks ago,like to plant in pasture.waiting to see what the state is going to allow

126. Nicholas C says:

I have a 60 acre farm in New Jersey, I have a local farmer renting the farm from me. I would love to start farming hemp but I am clueless on how to go about it. it would be great to get some feedback on how to start the business and farming.

127. Aaron Davis says:

Hello, I have been growing marijuana in Oregon for about ten years . I would like to grow hemp also . Can you give me some info. on how to go about starting a hemp farm? Thank you Aaron.

128. Amy Livengood says:

I am interested in growing hemp in Kansas.

129. Michael Wuolukka says:

Interested in growing hemp in middle ga.

130. stephen vescova says:

hi my name is steve I’m interested in farming hemp also have connections on processing in colorado and oregon I’m currently in the hydroponic side of things.ive been in the industry for 25plus years.

131. Tracey says:

I’m curious about the opportunities with hemp other than growing and would like to learn more. Please add me to your news letter.

132. Bill naylon says:

I have only ever worked on a corn farm and only for a few months, I’m currently a truck driver but want to settle down and start a farm. I think growing industrial hemp is ideal. Can anyone point me in the direction to start? I would appreaicte advice or book or website recommendations. Thank you.

133. Charles says:

I am In Puerto Rico. 20 acres available with the capacity to add more acres. I am already a farmer.

134. Jacob Bullock says:

I would like to plan on harvesting 200 acres of hemp from my family farm land in Iowa this 2019 fall season. I have the land, only need interested serious buyers. Interested parties please contact me at [email protected] from there we can exchange phone numbers. Thank you

135. Norman says:

Any processing plants in the US yet? Last I knew the closest was in Canada.

136. Elizabeth Wallace says:

I have tracts ranging from 35 acres to over 500 acres in South Carolina, where I suspect the climate would be good. I would be very interested to see it go into hemp. I am also looking at the Maryland, where I hope to soon have 100 acres. If anyone is interested in farming SC in particular contact me [email protected]

137. Rolando Vasquez says:

My name is Rolando, I work with a process group. We work with farmers to grow our seeds on their farm, minimum 100 acres. Need to know, 1. # acres available, 2. State and zip code, 3. Name of owner(s)/all signing authorities

138. Anthony Holloman says:

Very interested in the planting hemp here in North Carolina any information would be great thanks

• Troy Berg says:

Hello Anthony,
      I work with farmers to help get started growing hemp for CBD. We can provide the seeds and labs to sell to. If you would like to talk my number 608-317-1888.
      Best Regards,
      Troy

139. John says:

I have about 320 acres in California Kern County and wondering if it’s suitable for growing hemp. I am not a farmer but would appreciate any input on this. Thank you.

140. Over 300 acres in
    Apalachin NY would like information on farming HEMP.

141. Jake says:

Planning to open an extraction facility for the 2019-2020 growing season in southern Indiana. Looking for farms to partner with. Lots of questions. [email protected]

142. Sherri Whitlock says:

I would like more information on the hemp and seed production in Indiana. I see that Indianan is one of the few that can produce and sell seed. Any one with more info please email so sub sweetheart at yahoo.com

143. Michelle says:

I have a few acres i want to try hemp program in SC. Need info all how this works to see if worth doing. Need letter from college and list of processor’s ect ect tks

144. Eddie Echols says:

would like to learn how to grow have around 900 acres in west tx

145. Aleigha Hans says:

I am interested in starting a hemp farm. I have done a lot of research. I have a few different land plots with acreage in Florida. Hoping to start with 10 and scale up from there. Any information on getting started is much appreciated.

• Sam says:

Hey Aleigha. I would be glad to discus how my company can help you get started with a 10 acre hemp operation! Give me a call (704)808-4463 or shoot me an email at [email protected] at your convenience!

Thanks,

Sam Burney
      Founding Partner at Point3Group LLC
      (704)807-4463

• Thomas Abbott says:

Looking for info on Florida hemp law & production. Want to start processing.

146. Don Howard says:

Hi Im in KY and am interested in the partnering in the hemp business
    [email protected]

147. Lori says:

I am a farmer in Illinois and would like to start a hemp farm in Illinois for CBD. Looking for expertise in the industry. 2019 will be the first year that Illinois will allow farmers to grow industrial hemp.

148. Larry L Kranz says:

I am interested in getting started growing hemp in kansas with 20 acres.any help would be great.

149. Don Wales says:

Does anyone know if South Central Tennessee is suitable for hemp production since Tennessee is now approved to grow.

150. For Sale

We have aprox 600 irragated acres with two pivots . We have 2400 acre feet of water ( lots of water ) for future growth if needed. The property is fully fenced and has been used for growing alfalfa and grass hay . Land Is Located In Nevada.
    phone : 307 690 1864

151. Susan Oakley says:

I’m in southern Virginia. Who or what agency could I contact about growing hemp? I’m very serious about this but don’t know where to start. Thanks for any information anyone can provide

152. Huey Snow says:

Just inherited 500 acres in Kansas.. I would love to get into growing hemp. Any help getting started would be greatly appreciated.. My name is Huey..

153. Henry L Butler says:

I am interested in knowing more about growing hemp in Arkansas.

154. Billy Letkeman says:

I’m a farmer in Texas and would like the opportunity to grow hemp

155. Rodney Aberle says:

I farm in central il. I am interested in learning more about this. Please contact me at [email protected]

• Tom Abbott says:

Check out Illinois Hemp Growers, or Illinois Stewadship Aliance. Groups helping Illinois farmers navigate the hemp law to get the industry started.

156. Brandy Popken says:

We have some land in central Nebraska and are interested in getting involved with hemp as a crop. Any info about where to start is helpful!

157. Landon Woods says:

Where can I sell hemp stalks in North Carolina or Virginia?
    Thanks guys,

158. Ethan Shoop says:

I’m a young farmer in central PA and want to learn what it takes to grow industrial hemp in PA. Is there a market, how do I harvest, planting dates, fertility, these are all questions I have.

159. Jesse Dalby says:

I have 80 acres in southeast Kansas and wanting any information on growing Hemp. I plan on putting in for a licence to grow but will need as much help as I can get. seeds, buyers, cost

• Raymond Raney says:

Jesse I am in north central Kansas and have same questions as you have. Having a hard time trying to understand Kansas law so far, And the licenses process. Do you have anything you can share.

160. Rick Anderson says:

Hi I have about 100 acres just outside of Bozeman in hay now bt needs to be rotated.

Any partners out here to get this stared?

Thanks

161. Douglas Arnew says:

I know that it is not legal yet in Texas, but I would like to get ahead of the game and be ready when it is legalized. 140 acres in central Texas. I need more information on how I could get a licence when they are available, who to contact etc.

162. Johnny Windberry says:

I have 82 acres here in Oklahoma and I know others that have land that are wanting to grow Hemp.

163. Pam says:

I am interested in receiving more information. Have acreage in central PA. Thanks!

164. Scott Perry says:

Hello, are there any companies in the Summer County,TN areas that industrialize Hemp? Because I am interested in raising 5 acres this year and see how it does in my area, or state. Also needing a company that has rentable machinery for harvesting. Thank you for your time.

165. Michael Sams says:

I have property in southeast Texas. I very interested in obtaining information on how to go from start to finish in the growth and processing of hemp. Also interested in the building of a processing plant for the different uses of hemp.

166. Shortdog says:

Hi, What market products grows in your areas? What are the testing requirements in those areas with lots of acreage avail? Testing standards are high here! Currently its all hand labor to plant and harvest each individual plant, no machinery. At todays value, how much money can be made per acre in your area. It cost about $5k/ac here to grow 2000 plants /ac but for optimal product the yield is $30k-$50k /ac. Is that a Natl standard?

167. Jeff Norman says:

I have a 60 acre farm outside of Washington, D.C. that is raising about 15 acres of vegetables. Hemp would be a no brainer to diversify into. The funds for the equipment needed to process and raise would be expensive and difficult to raise funds for. Does anybody know what type of equipment would be needed?

168. Cathy Cartwright says:

I am an orchardist in Eastern Washington. I have 30 acres of trees I WILL be removing this spring and am interested in growing hemp. Any information would be helpful. Cathy

169. Elizabeth whittington says:

My husband and I purchased land last year in east Texas and have a couple acres to grow hemp, could we still profit with only 2 to 3 acres?

170. Louis Faust says:

I have a small amount of land in western New York (10 acres) but with the potential to purchase and additional 20. I’m very interested in growing hemp and believe my land is more than suitable for this crop.

171. Julie B. says:

I’m in Alabama and we currently don’t have a processing plant. Does anyone have contact information for a process facility close to Alabama? Thanks.

172. terry says:

looking to grow hemp on 500 ac irrigated in north west texas

173. Stephen says:

Folks…..please do your homework. From a Hemp for CBD perspective, it is incredibly expensive to raise. Clones will cost you $3 to $4 per plant, feminized seed will be about a $1 a seed. Multiply that times 1,500 plants per acre. This does not include your labor cost per acre. Hemp for CBD is more labor intensive than tobacco. You also need about twice the drying space of tobacco i.e barn, greenhouse space, etc. Also, there is no widely available crop ins. Align yourself with someone who has experience and distribution networks. Not try to discourage anyone but this is an incredibly expensive crop to raise. All the best.

174. Natalie says:

I have a hundred and sixty acres in New Mexico and I would love to start a hemp Farm but I don’t know where to start. Anyone have suggestions!

175. Ricky Shaw says:

I have 10acres in western Kentucky. I would like more information on growing hemp on my property. This land has been farmed in the past but want to put it to better use

176. Derek says:

I am from inman, sc and looking to apply for the SC hemp pilot program and im looking for processors that would be interested in talking more about it. Sc farmers is only allowed to grow 40 acres. We have about 50 that is hay fields and cow pastures. Looking to get out of the cattle business and try our hand in growing.

177. Christine Torres says:

I have 10 acres in chipley florida would love to try hemp farming

178. Danny Hussmann says:

We have 54 acres with an additional 200 on option. The thing is, this is in the Dominican Republic. My beginning research tells me it is legal to grow there.

The climate would allow 2-3 crops per annum.

What do you think please?

179. Susan Moore says:

I am very much interested in learning how to grow hemp.

180. Curtis goldstein says:

Hello. We are farmers in Illinois and it has just become legal to grow hemp here. I have enough acres to grow a decent amount. We are worried about doing it the first year. We don’t know where we could sell the seed or fiber. That is a major concern. What equipment would you need to harvest for seed and the fiber? Thank you!

181. Dennis E. Hogan says:

Please forward latest updates to Modern Farmer.
    Thanks, Dennis

182. Stephond says:

I currently live in Olive Branch, MS. I have been interested in the hemp industry since 2011, but I did not take it serious at the time. I am interested in learning and working with anyone who I can be of help to. All I have at the moment is a willing spirit that is eager to learn more. Feel free to email me if I can help in anyway. allmond dot stephond at gmail dot com

183. Jason A Marshall says:

I have about 50 acres in Hamilton County Tennessee would like to learn more about hemp

184. Pauline Kasal says:

Hello, I have a smaller amount of acreage at this time, 25-30 that could be farmed. I’d be interested to receive information. I’ve owned the property for 17 years. It has never had one chemical product or fertilizer applied to it. I also have a very large greenhouse (that granted needs some recovering and tlc). I have possibility of acquiring additional acres if this could be a viable project. I’d appreciate any information. Property is in NE TX

185. Shane Layland says:

Would like to have modern farm info emailed to me. Thanks

186. Sara C says:

Your best bet for all things hemp is growhempcolorado.com – Ryan wasn’t the only farmer that grew hemp that first year, Veronica Carpio was the first female hemp farmer in the state and has her own seed that consistently tests under 0.03% thc. Also, organic is fine, but hemp is a phyto remediator and will pull all the heavy metals and other wonderful stuff out of the soil so unless you are planting inside in a greenhouse, and using your own soil mix. In industry since 2010

187. Eric List says:

This is Eric with the International Hemp Exchange.

We’re a licensed and certified National Sales Partner for HGH Seed Co. We are now accepting orders for the 2019 season. Seeds are selling fast – secure yours before its too late. If you’d like to be considered in our allocation process, please send us an acreage/seed quantity estimate.

HGH started with the first Hemp farm license issued in Colorado in 2014 and are the proud ORIGINAL breeders of Cherry Wine, Berry Blossom and Trophy Wife.

Our seeds consistently achieve 99.9% fem rate and test between 12-20+% CBD. This year we’re releasing “Red Bordeaux” which finishes mid-September, ideal for farmers concerned about early frost. Also new this season is “Auto Pilot” a feminized auto-flower seed with a 75-85 day maturity from date of sewing.

Additional information can be found on our website iHEMPx.com/seed & HGHseed.com Please contact me with any questions.
    Eric List
    [email protected]
    303-517-3339

• Josh Hollandsworth says:

Hi I’m a farmer in va who is interested in growing hemp I have thousands of acres I farm now have been researching and would like more info and knowledge on the industry. Please email me

188. Ruth Valdixon says:

Forming a hemp farmer collective in southern Oregon contact me if interested,,only requirement is hard worker!

189. Marsha Churchill says:

Hi we have only got forty acres. We are trying to figure out if we could make some money from growing hemp on it. We would sure appreciate your input or if not you possibly someone you know. Not only do we want to know if we can make money but the whole knowing if you can grow it procedure. Thank you very much for your time. I really hope to hear from you.

190. Susan Perry says:

Any Indiana outlets for fiber? I am thinking a paper item company like toilet paper or paper towels! I have land to grow, but need a market, seed and what type to grow (seed, fiber, etc.)
    I have waited over 40 years for this!!
    Farm on!!

191. meryl weprin says:

Interested in learning about planting and hoping this will be legalized in Ohio. I am getting all the information I can before this and learning as much as possible. We have about 5 acres with great soil. Getting ready!
    Thanks

192. Cisco says:

I have 3-6 acres of land I’m not using and was wondering would it be a good idea to try to grow himp on it?I live in Colorado

193. Chris says:

Hi I have a 100 or so acres of dry land farm in north central Texas and would like to learn more about hemp farming and point of sale.

194. Elizabeth says:

Hi all,
    We are a local manufacturing company located in Brighton, Colorado. In our shop we consistently build quality buildings to meet any, and all customer needs. We are looking to branch out into the community as a helpful hand to the manufacturing process of hemp. If we can quote, build, or supply you, or your company with a quality building please reach out to us today, or kindly point us in the right direction! Thanks for reading!

195. Suzanne Gibson says:

My name is Suzanne Gibson we just passed the hemp law and am very curious about growing it, we have 200 acres here in Wyoming and would love to learn more and grow…

196. Darryl says:

I have about 50 acres of lands in southern Missouri that I’m interested in using for hemp production. When would you suggest I go for additional information? Thanks

197. Cheryl Jerabek says:

I live in Southwest Colorado in a ranching and farming area (the Westend). I hear this area is full of incentives to grow to boost the economy. I am currently looking for land and any advice on hemp farming, getting land, getting started, hooking up with interested parties in the area, etc. I do have a potential outlet for selling CBD and excess stalks. Thanks so much!

198. Terry Cook says:

I want to grow hemp I would love to learn more about growing it. Can you help me with information. I was raised on a farm and would love to get back into Ag. Please email me any information you have.

199. Eric says:

I have 100 acres in hay located in Pennsylvania and we want to start growing hemp. I can get a license. Can anyone provide me information where I can get the crop processed. I am seeking the oil and not so much the fiber.
    ERIC

200. addie adamec says:

I have 98 acres of hilly rocky land in Tennessee. But I would love to try and be a hemp farmer on a small scale to start. I would love to be able to sell to people making CBD oil or possibly make my own oil in the future. But I really don’t know where to start. I know I missed the deadline for applying for the proper paper work but I figure thats okay because it gives me time to get the land ready and stuff. But I hope to grow next year. Any suggestions?

201. Ellen Perkins says:

Hello, my name is Ellen Perkins and I just put in a pine plantation on 20+ acres in west central Arkansas and I am interested in planting hemp between the pine trees. The trees are 10 ft apart. Would that be enough room for the plant to grow. Trees were put in 3 weeks ago. Seedlings.

202. Curt Sinclair says:

I have 5 acres with 3 100X40 green houses and lots of drip systems on most of the acres. Must be some part of the growing/processing of hemp we could do. Located in central FL.

203. Dave Weitz says:

Definitely interested, I have a 220 acre farm and looking to add hemp production if there is a market for it. If not in eastern Washington then possible for cover crops also.
    How many pounds per acre for dry land farming and price for seeds?
    We are considering making hemp oil and other products if we can make it locally.
    Thanks for any help or suggestions.

204. Dana says:

I am interested in growing hemp for oil in southeast Arkansas, looking for someone that can help get me started or knows someone that I can contact on how to grow and what is the best way to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

205. Jackie Robertson says:

I have up to 5 acres in IL that I plan to grow hemp in 2019 provided the rules and regs are finalized in time. Looking for a processor for my crop please.

206. Joao Monteiro Grilo says:

Good Morning
    I have a farm with 100 ha in Portugal, with Pivot’s and I am interested in growing Hemp
    There is someone interested in a partnership in Portugal.

207. Matthew Parsons says:

Going to do a trial crop on my 35acre field in north carolina to test the market just having trouble locating the sales market that takes the raw materials f and r roping and the pricing per acre any info helps thanks

208. Kris Boling says:

I would like to be a legal grower and be able to sell these hemp legal and making money. I am not sure how I should start and what process do I need to in order to be legal grower? I live in Cincinnati, OH. I know recreational use is not legal yet but medical is legal here in Ohio. Would like to work and start from scratch like lot of
    People who join for first time. Please let me know what process I need to be a legal grower, where can I get paperwork and permit license or paperwork, and who can I sell these to, and where the legal hemp seeds I can get, and what kind of soil, and the steps of working on grow hemp. Thank you