CSA Cooking: Grilled Broccoli with Blistered Tomato Pan Vinaigrette [with video]
Juicy, blistered tomatoes and subtly-smokey grilled broccoli combine with sautéed shallots and garlic scapes contribute to this delicious dish.
This recipe is part of the Just Picked series, a partnership between Modern Farmer + Foodterra. Visit our recipe hub for the complete collection, which will be growing throughout the season.
- Olive oil, as needed
- 5–7 slices pancetta, chopped
- 1 large bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into large florets with stems attached (peel stems for presentation)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20–25 cherry tomatoes
- 3–5 garlic scapes (optional), cut into 1½-inch batons
- 1 clove garlic, cut crosswise into thin slices
- ½ large shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1–1½ teaspoons champagne vinegar (we used O Citrus Champagne Vinegar)
- Parmesan cheese for grating
- Balsamic vinegar for finishing
Preheat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat bottom of hot skillet with oil, add pancetta, and cook until it renders fat and crisps up a bit, 5–6 minutes. Remove from heat.
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Coat broccoli in oil and season with salt (just a little as pancetta is salty) and pepper. Grill until crisp-tender and lightly charred, rotating occasionally, 5–10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
Return skillet to stovetop, add tomatoes to pancetta, and toss and cook over medium-high heat for 1–1½ minutes, or until juices release and tomatoes begin to blister. Add garlic scapes (if using) and sliced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Toss in shallots, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook for another minute.
Finish tomato vinaigrette by stirring in mustard, lemon zest and juice, and champagne vinegar. Add 2 tablespoons oil and shake pan vigorously to emulsify vinaigrette.
Spoon tomato vinaigrette over broccoli and finish with grated Parmesan and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.